On Sunday we finished the most outstanding garden tasks: planting the rest of the garlic and the French shallots, pulling up the tomato stakes, and clearing-out most of the remaining thistle colony skeletons. There's still quite a bit of bird-gleanings so I won't remove too much more. Probably move some of the fallen leaves around and rake in more as mulch for the hardier areas of this space. Will use fresh straw mulch in other places.
It's exciting to walk around on a later autumn afternoon and see the first layer of what next summer's garden might look like. In particular I made note of Evening Primrose rosettes and a few independent oregano plants. Am putting bamboo sticks beside them so I'll know where to look when transplanting them next year.
I planted the Rojo hardneck garlic bulbs closest to the tomato patch. They were insistent. I look at the picture above and visualize more concrete viable plans for expanding this 'warning track' of cultivated food growing space. Next year I will cultivate more ruthlessly to claim more food-making space.
In front of the whiskey barrel above there's a strip of ground between the straw-mulched plantings. The French shallots are to the left and I had a very pleasant surprise when I took them out of their mesh storage bag. I'd thought nearly all of them had sprouted with weirdly dead-looking growth.
But what I'd seems were the actually dead stems clipped high at the top of bulbs. There was only one sprouted shallot that we chopped very fine for sprinkling into a green salad. This is the French classic Frog's Legs variety. I've cooked with it, helped plant it for somebody else's larder, gratefully accepted their sharing after a plentiful harvest, and so forth. But this is the first time everything fell in place to grow them myself. We also planted the standard red variety. I love harvesting their green shoots and freeze-drying for winter use. J considers the shallots themselves essential pantry items as do I.
No creative consideration of the root chakra would be complete without a root based project. I pulled out this hunk of Sumac runner a few weeks ago so it could harden plus wash clear in the rain. Part of me is interested in using it as an outline stencil to draw on the stairwell walls to the studio. Most of me just wants to draw variations that are scaled 'way down. Will use the adjusted outlines to work with (I think...) for the final exercise sometime early to mid-week - next Tuesday or Wednesday. There's a new exercise I posted yesterday. The first half is an explanation about the book in which I worked. The second half is the exercise. All the RED all at once makes it pretty obvious where to begin.